Tuesday, December 20, 2011

December 20, 2011

Lorena & Katie Freeman
Katie DeOliveras, Katie Freelove, Allison Anthony
This has been another good week. It has passed quickly, as we have had a lot of variety. Last Wednesday we went to a school choir concert of a young woman in our ward, named Katie. It was a lot of fun. It was held at the high school and was sixth grade through high school. Their auditorium was beautiful and was decorated with beautiful, tall Christmas trees. At the end they sang a couple of combined numbers. We really enjoyed ourselves.
On Thursday we spent time getting Christmas gifts off to the family in Utah & Idaho. We also went visiting with the elders.
Oreo Race (Slide it down your forehead into your mouth.)
Cut the candy bar and use the knife to put it in your mouth.
On Friday we took off at about 6:45 a.m. for Grand Rapids where we had two days of training with the mission president, Pres. Hess, his wife, and two assistants, Elder Ransley, from Meridian, Idaho, and Elder DeHart, from I don't know where. The first day was all about the Savior's Atonement. It was awesome. We did not go back to BC that night. We got a motel, and then went to the Olive Garden. Elder Hendrickson was thrilled to spend a night in a king-size bed. Saturday we learned about working with local leaders and about planning. It was really worthwhile. I learned lots. As I looked and listened to these young people, (there were about sixty elders and two sisters) I was impressed with the depth of their knowledge and their eagerness to learn and to share with others. The future is in good hands. In the afternoon we had a party where games were played...silly games...the missionaries were good sports and let off a lot of stress and tension laughing with each other. I was very glad to visit with Pres. Hess. He was happy with what we are doing. I think somedays we should be keeping up with the elders. Some days we do. But it is okay to shuffle along some days, too. Steady is the idea. And that we are. One fun part of the leadership training was that a new couple had arrived the day before. They are from Salem, Utah, and will be here until October. They are serving in Ludington. They are very nice, we will do things with them on our preparation days. When we got home that night we went with the elders to visit Twyla, a member here. She has a lot of health problems and is somewhat housebound.
The next day we went to church. We started with ward council at 8:00. We went to give Carol Miranda a ride. It was high council Sunday. We had been assigned to speak, but it had to be changed...oh, darn. We were asked, however, to come up and bear our testimonies. The Slachter family was there. I took Benjamin to primary and stayed with him through sharing time. We took Carol home and  went to our home. I fixed tortellini soup. It was yummy. Soon after that we went out visiting with the elders. (Can you tell it was their week to be without a car?) We went back to Twyla's house as her uncle had died during the night. We visited, trying to help her find some comfort and some peace. Her family is in Oregon and she does not have the means to travel there and be with them at this time. Her health would not permit if she did. She has post polio syndrome. As we did that, we all shared scriptures, and the Spirit was strong. Elder Ferons suggested that we all bear our testimonies. We did and there was really a great feeling. Next we moved on to Sharla's house where we had a very special visit. I love these times. Going knocking, trying to find people who are lost, is fine, but we really love being with people and teaching.
We have done a lot of visiting this week. We met one lady who is really golden. We have an appointment with her for January 2nd. Great experience. We searched out one man who was so very sad. He is a army veteran, who served for over twenty years. He has post tramatic stress syndrome. He lives in a shed out behind his house. He was homeless for ten years. He is quite out of his mind. I was not afraid of him, but he really was somewhat scary. He asked me if I wanted to see his civil war rifle. I said yes I did, (Elder H glared at me at that moment,) but while he went to get it I kind of wondered if he would use it on us...not really or we would have gone while he got it. He keeps this amazing rifle on the ground under his cot. He was in a very sad state. He wants no help. He doesn't want to be around crowds. He says he can see through people. He says he is a healer and a shaman. He smokes medical marijuana several times a day. That is the very first thing he told us.
Today I made cinnamon rolls to take to the Freelove's when we went to dinner. I am taking some of them tomorrow when we go to district meeting, and then some to Mr. & Mrs. Torrance, the bishop's parents.
Kristin sent us a twelve days of Christmas package. This is a picture of the tree. We are having a lot of fun with it. We are appreciative of the many cards and letters from home. We are putting them on the wall and it adds a lot of color.



Tomorrow is district conference in Kalamazoo. We are teaching some new member lessons in the afternoon and then doing "Living Christmas cards" in the evening.
I am thankful for my sweet companion. I guess if we were going to kill each other we would have done it by now. But we are happy being together. Elder Hendrickson is very thoughtful and good with people.
The next time I write on the blog Christmas will be over for another year. I love this season when the world is tuned into the life of the Savior. Everyone is a little kinder, a little more thoughtful. It is my prayer that we all serve as He did, all the year through, losing ourselves in that service. We love you and miss you. Christmas is not the same without you. But people are being very kind to us, and we are thankful to be here serving our Father in Heaven, carrying out His work, trying to be His hands here in BC. Thank you for your support and love. Until next week, we love you.

1 comment:

  1. We are happy to hear how well things are going and think of you every day. We love you, Mark and Em

    ReplyDelete