Wednesday, November 21, 2012

November 21, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving from Michigan!!!
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and we want you to know that we are thankful for all of you. You are the joy of our lives. Thanks for being you.
Last Thursday we spent much of the day planning and reorganizing our work. We are regrouping now that we have found most of those who we will be able to find. We needed to figure out how to make the best use of our time and make sure we were not forgetting anyone. It felt good to have it all figured out and have more goals set for the coming months.
That night we went out to the Taylor family's home for dinner. They have three children, ages 5,3, & 1...Crosby, Truman, and Iris. Iris is my buddy. Hillary, their mom, was busy fixing dinner, which was yummy. She said she did not need help, but I could tell she was a little frustrated with the kids running through. So, I got out the Ipad and we all played games. It was fun sitting on the stair landing and visit with little children. They live out in the country across the road from the Hafen's old house. Those two homes are the largest, prettiest homes I've ever been in. WOW! I am sooo glad I don't have to clean them!!! I can enjoy looking, though. The really nice thing is that both of those families are down to earth and kind people. The Taylors invited us for Thanksgiving, but we already had an appointment, so they invited us for Christmas. We are not sure about that as we do have a place to be at 4:00 and we will probably watch our grandchildren open their gifts via the internet...if that works out. Kristin said she would help with that.
The ward is good to us. We have had at least ten invitations for Thanksgiving dinner. You can see that we will not be hungry. I am making rolls...pray for me...I am NOT a baker.
Wednesday night about 9:15 we went to the church to meet Bishop and Janet's son, Justin, who just returned from a mission in the Ukraine. They picked him up in Detroit and then came to the church so he could see some people. He is a wonderful young man. Janet is beaming!!! He must be smart...looking at his nametag I could not even remotely begin to figure out what it said. He gave us all coins from the Ukraine. I'll be re-gifting mine to our granddaughters.

I have more pictures of this week, but the computer is saying I am out of space to post pictures. Sorry. I don't quite know what to do about that. Sorry. The strange thing is that it would let me put video on. So here a short one. Justin brought his dad, who has lots of kinds of hats, the fox hat he has on  his head. 
On Friday night we took pizza to the Michaud's house and had a fun family home evening with them. Afterwards we went to Pennfield High School to see and hear Katie Freelove sing in the Follies. It was a wonderful program. The pianists were wonderful. They even had a student band singing "It's Been A Hard Day's Night!" All you Beatles fans would have loved it.
On Saturday we went to Shipshuwana with the Torrance family. We don't usually do those things on Saturday...a none preparation day...but they really wanted us to come. Bishop Torrance's father and mother, who are not members of the church were going along and we get along with them well. They are not members of the church. We were able to commit them to come to Justin's talk in church next week. I hope it happens. They were coming last winter to hear the bishop speak. I invited them, and they were going to surprise him. He really would have fallen over!!! But, one of them ended up in the hospital.
Saturday and Sunday we had stake conference. It was wonderful. Sunday conference was held at the Kellogg Auditorium. It was so comfortable...nice soft seats, lost of leg room! We had a seventy, Elder Carlson, from Salt Lake City. He and President Witt went out to visit with the Schaffer family on Saturday. They had a wonderful visit and Tammy came to the Sunday session. We were thrilled.
We had a wonderful district conference this morning. I am amazed at the strength of these wonderful missionaries. Elder Van Dyke, our district leader, gave a wonderful lesson. One young elder shared an experience he had that brought all of us to tears. The future is bright with these young people as our next generation of leaders.
I am thankful for the Atonement of our Savior Jesus Christ. It is thrilling to see the lives of our dear loved ones here blessed through the gospel. Several people are really starting to receive the blessings, and they know where they are coming from.  Satan has buffeted them over and over. When we see their eyes bright with His light, our hearts are full and we are grateful to be here sharing this experience with them.
We are thankful for the blessings the Lord is showering upon our loved ones at home, too. May his Spirit be with you, is our prayer. We love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment