It has been a good week.
A week ago today, we were able to visit a young man from the ward who is a "do not visit" person. He has a man, who reminds us of Brother Buttars, who is his home teacher. He lets him in and no one else. Brother Letters has taken us there before, but he has not been at home. Well, we arrived just as his wife was leaving. The kids were gone and it was quiet. We had an interesting time. We asked him about his beliefs. He says that he believes in the idea of a god, but does not believe in God. He says that when we die our spirits go into a big vat of energy and new people's spirits come out of there...the ultimate recycling! He was pretty outspoken about it. He agreed to have us come back and meet with him and his wife next Tuesday night. He has had a real tough life and I think he really does believe in God. We are excited. His wife is not a member of the church. Her mom recently died and she wants to bring their kids to a church.
We were really excited on Wednesday because Jill Schaffer came to the primary girls' achievement day for the first time and had a great time. They are coming to the Chili Cook-off/Trunk or Treat this Saturday, too. I made sure we were there to introduce her and the leaders and other young girls were very gracious to her.
I spent much of Friday afternoon working on a skirt for our bishop's wife. It is a really crazy story. She asked me if I could help her put a new lace layer on her lace skirt. I asked her if it had a waist band or elastic. It was elastic so I thought, "no sweat! We can do this." Well...we go get lace fabric. I start taking it apart and it is a bias skirt. Long story...at first I tried to put a non-bias top on a bias base...that doesn't work. Several tries later, I am close to finished. I spent all of our prep day on Monday making patterns, cutting out, and sewing. It is so funny. I just don't know how to do that stuff. Pray hard for me!!! I hope to get it finished on Friday. It is her favorite skirt. If I had taken the time to look I would have advised against it. OH, WELL. I love her. She is wonderful to us. So I ruin her favorite skirt??? Will she hate me forever???
I invited a half a dozen less active sisters to go to the stake Relief Society women's conference on Saturday. Janet, the bishop's wife was invited, too, so they could visit with a member and make a friend. She was not sure she could come and didn't let me know until pretty late on Friday night. One by one everyone except her canceled. Well, the two of us went and had a marvelous time. It was really great. The theme was "Bloom Where You Are!" We only had four of us from our ward there, including one who was a presenter. I was so sad that everyone missed it. There were classes there on the Atonement, scripture study, Zumba, Tai Chi, provident living, SAD, holistic medicine, etc. etc. It was great. I found the answer to questions I was praying about and so did Janet.
My favorite class we on accepting ourselves and not being harsh to ourselves. It was based on a talk by Elder Holland and a program that BYU has that is a ten day challenge they have every fall.
Sister Decker, the presenter, did it with her daughters. I am hoping to do it with my family, too. It was great.
https://www.lds.org/ensign/2005/11/to-young-women
https://recapturingbeauty.byu.edu/challenge/
I would love to teach a class on this because it is so important...and the teacher always learns them most. Sister Decker talked about how great RS would be if the women did not envy, judge, or compete with one another. She said that if we felt better about ourselves and understood more fully who we are, we would be nicer to each other and would be unified in our efforts. Everyone would feel welcome. She said that we could move mountains if that were the case. It was wonderful. She did some meditation with it. It was cool.
I had a hair appointment this week. That always helps my sense of humor. (What does that say about the my testimony of the previous story???) None of the ladies where I go are member. I always get a chance to visit with them about the church. I hear that no one is for Mitt Romney here, but everyone in there sure is. Our votes were mailed a long time ago. I don't tell anyone how to vote, but I hope sincerely that everyone will vote. That privilege is sacred.
Today a miracle happened. Prayers are answered. Lupe texted me and asked if they could come for dinner next week. They miss us. We miss them, too. I am hoping that the Spirit of the Lord will help them to see what they are missing by staying away from church. SO, next Wednesday, they are coming over, as are the elders, and we are going to celebrate Sam's birthday which was last Saturday. Yea!!!
I know that Heavenly Father is close by us and he hears and answers our prayers. I have received many answers in my life and some really great ones this very week. He is with us in our hour of need.
Well, we have district conference in Kalamazoo tomorrow and have to leave by 8:00. Bed is looking good.
(I am sparing you all the fall tree photos tonight, but I love these fire bushes.)
| Logan Vandenboss at Super Chinese Buffet (We had dinner with their family there tonight.) |
We love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment