Tuesday, October 2, 2012

October 2, 2012

 
 
Hi, Everyone!
It's been another beautiful fall day here in Michigan. Every day the color gets brighter and brighter. The next few weeks should be amazing. We were out in the hills today making visits and it was very enjoyable. Mom & Dad, the red fire bushes you always like to have in your yard grow wild here. The woods are full of them. It's gorgeous.
 
 
The other day we were out searching for some people. We looked for two families in this neighborhood and neither lived there, but as we were leaving one, across the road I spied this sandhill crane. They are everywhere here and considered by some to be nuisances. We have some in the Stanley basin in the summer, but I have never been up this close to them. He was not afraid at all. I took video of him walking around this field.



Carol Osenbaugh was baptized on Saturday night. She was dating an LDS boy and so took the lessons. They broke up, but she kept going. She attended, the very first week she was taking the lessons from the elders, the YW  Book of Mormon marathon. We went to help that day. She had gone to sleep. The leaders laughed and said they doubt that very many investigators read through the end of Alma the first day they get the book. She is wonderful. This is her mom and her mom's boyfriend with her. They came to the baptism and also, to church for the confirmation. She was asked to share her testimony. It was very heartfelt. 

Carol Osenbaugh with her Mom & mom' boyfriend

Elder Patterson & Yvonne
Yvonne is a seventy one year old woman who is trying to make up her mind if she wants to be baptized or not. She loved seeing Carol baptized and stayed for the RS broadcast which she described as  a real blessing to her.
Small Michigan mums
We have been pretty sad the last few weeks. We have gotten very close to the Clay family. The three boys were baptized. They moved in with the boyfriend and he has made a condition that no one from the church can come there. We still attend Jake's football games.
The cookies get them every time...HA!
Our dear Elder Snow has been transferred to the UP (Upper Peninsula) at Saute Saint Marie, also known as the SOO. He is from Arizona and loves hot weather. This town borders Canada. He is in for some real Michigan winter weather. This was at the Lux, a restaurant in BC, and was a farewell breakfast to say good bye. Elder Patterson, who has only been here three months, will remain here and will train a brand new elder. Unfortunately, Elder P was over tonight has had a fever of over 101 degrees. He is feeling very rough. His temporary companion, Elder Wilson, from Coldwater, is probably hoping he doesn't share. They have to drive to Lansing tomorrow to pickup their greenies.
Elder Snow's farewell breakfast
We have loved these hard working elders. Hate to breakup the team.
The team

Sister Torrance makes THE best cookies in the world. I got the recipe. They WILL be at the next family reunion. They are peanut butter with chocolate chips and chunks of Reese's peanut butter cups.
Yesterday was prep day. Instead of cleaning the apartment as we should have, we went to the breakfast and then took some people who were there with us to Gull Farms in Richland. It has an apple orchard and pumpkin patches. We had our first real Michigan fresh apple cider. Oh, am I hooked for life. It is amazing. We had pumpkin glazed doughnuts. We walked around the cute shop they had there.



Mary & Bob Fales, our ward mission leader and his wife


Janet and LaVone and giant pumpkin brought in just today from the field.

pumpkins everywhere!

On the way home, Bob and Mary wanted to stop at Station 66. Sarah, you know what that means. This time instead of girl scout mint cookie ice cream, I had Mackinaw fudge ice cream. It is easy to see why I am in such awful shape. But boy, is it good. Actually, I came right on schedule calorie wise for the day. I just didn't eat anything else. I was on a sugar high.
We continue to work with a lot of the same families. We are going to focus on some others for awhile. We love them all.
I LOVED the Relief Society broadcast. Our new presidency is amazing. Elder Eyring is one of my heroes. I love that they are focusing on the Atonement. We have been teaching that all day to people who did not attend. If you were unable to go, I  highly recommend getting on LDS. org and reading them. I intend to print them and study them at length. I hope that everyone enjoys conference this week. I look forward to this starting the day the last one ends. I love it. Hope you do, too. We have encouraged our friend to listen with a question in mind.
Next week I will not be writing the blog until the end of the week. We love you!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment