Hey, dear family and friends!
It has been a wonderful week here in Battle Creek!!!
I got a wonderful phone call from Lupe Clay today telling me that her son, Sam, who did not get baptized with the other boys, wants to get baptized this Saturday. YEA!!! She told him it was too fast.(I told her we could arrange this week if she wants.)
It's wonderful news!!! We are looking towards next Saturday.
We spent Friday in Kalamazoo for a zone conference. It was a wonderful day. We always love to see President & Sister Hess. We got acquainted with the new office couple, the Bakers, from the Nampa area. We really like them. They have been married a year and a half. They decided before they got married that they would serve a mission. Managing the office and the apartments and the cars is a bit out of their comfort zone. We all stretch! They are great. We smiled when they handed out new touch phones to all of the missionaries. Elder Baker has had a terrible time learning to use one. He was explaining and struggling. The elders were all excited and within about two minutes had them up and running. These young people are so tech savvy.
Sandy was baptized last Saturday by Elder Snow. It was a wonderful time. She has worked hard to quit smoking. We had a real neat moment. I was in the little dressing area, just to the side of the fount. The fount had been filled, but the plug was not all the way in. After the water was turned off and we were in the opening part of the service where talks are given, about five inches of water drained out. We had to wait a few minutes down at the fount while it re-filled. It was cool. Sandy had asked me to help her dress and to be there with the towel after, etc. We were in there and she took off the nicotine patch which she had been using for some weeks to quit smoking. As she stood there, she heard a voice tell her to take off the patch, that she was not going to have to worry about that any more. She took it off and handed it to me. She has not craved a cigarette since then and she has been around several family members who were smoking in front of her. It was a real miracle. AND Joe, her husband, has put down his cigarettes and is quitting, too. We are delighted for them. Their new goal is to go to the temple to receive their endowments and to be sealed for all eternity. On the way to that goal, they are working towards receiving patriarchal blessings and going to the temple to perform baptisms for the dead.
The Spirit was very strong. She was determined to finish reading the Book of Mormon before she was baptized and finished the night before. We were with her earlier in the week and we decided to all read the account of Joseph Smith's first vision. The Spirit touched her heart and she wept uncontrollably. She had received witnesses before as she prayed, but because she had studied and put the effort in, she was blessed with a HUGE portion of the Spirit. It was awesome. She was really prepared to be baptized.
We had a good crowd of ward members and we were thrilled that Elder Ferons and Elder Jones were able to travel here to witness the fruits of their labors. She has been taught by Elder Ferons, Elder Bridgewater (who could not attend), Elder Snow, and Elder Patterson. She loves them all and had a difficult time deciding who should baptize her, with Elder Hendrickson and her father-in-law, Bill Fox, also being considered. She had a neat experience leading her to Elder Snow. She told them all that she was putting their names in a hat and drawing one out. They all were very excited that she was getting baptized and were fine with Elder Snow performing the ordinance.
| Bill & Violet Fox, Sandy & Joe Cooper |
| "The Team" Elder H, me, Elder Patterson, Elder Jones, Sandy, Joe, Elder Ferons, with Elder Snow in front |
| As we took this picture, Sandy said I was her mom. How come people keep telling me I am old??? HA!!! |
| Mickey Baldwin made the refreshments for us. She is a wonderful lady. |
On Sunday Sandy was confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, also by Elder Snow. The Bishop welcomed her to the ward and she bore her testimony. It was very beautiful. She talked about her physical family and then about her ward family, which she called her "spiritual family." During the testimonies several people referred back to that and it was cool. She was touched.
On Saturday I met my first Korihor, Nehor, or Sherom. We met a lady at the church whose friend wanted to come on Sunday. (The sister has moved in from Florida and is living with her non-member friend.). She sat with us and after the closing prayer she turned to me and started in intensely telling me what was wrong with every detail of the sacrament. She has a doctorate degree in religion and a masters in metaphysics. She said that she believes in Jesus, but bit by bit she tried to paint him as a fraud. My heart was very sad. I owe the Savior everything and I love him. I am grateful for the Spirit which guided me to be still and not to contend with her. I know it is dramatic to say it, but a few times I looked in her eyes and felt like Satan himself was staring at me. I bore my testimony at the end of the hour I spent with her. I told her I have a simple faith, based on the testimony of the Spirit, not knowledge, that I trust God and have peace in my heart.(Hopefully I said it a little better than that.) She spoke what I felt were the first true words that came from her. She responded, "I envy you. I wish I could find that." She said God has led her to this point. I wanted to ask her if she is sure that it is God that is leading her. I kept hearing the Spirit whisper that contention is of the devil. I was not to contend with her. She kept telling me how lucky I am that I am uneducated. The whole experience was different from anything I have ever experienced before. I was worn out. We were teaching a combined Relief Society/priesthood meeting afterwards and I totally had to rely on the Spirit to do my part. I wondered why this happened, but I decided it was better for her to talk to me than to be doing that in a class to a teacher trying to teach a lesson. Or, I wondered what could have happened if she cornered our Sandy, who had just shared her testimony.
On Monday we went for a 2 1/2 mile walk in the Kellogg Experimental Forest. We really enjoyed it. This photo shows some vines that climb up the trees here . They don't usually kill them, but they take them over. They look pretty but are hard on the tree. I guess you have to treat the trees for many years to kill the vines. I thought it was sort of like the bad habits in our lives. They take over and are then hard to get rid of.
| Covered Bridge |
| In lieu of missing Alaskan bears this year |
We had found some more neat people this week. Heavenly Father is preparing people to receive the gospel. We can all help in his work by giving sharing with our friends. The elders are asking people to write down three people's names on a paper, put them on the fridge, and pray to know which one they can share with. They sure appreciate referrals.
We love you and pray for your happiness!
No comments:
Post a Comment