Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Year 2012

I am a day late getting to this as I have been down with a stomach bug. I haven't thrown-up like that since I was having babies. I am feeling very sorry for my Sarah!!! We have stayed home the last two days. I am hoping by tomorrow to be better. We changed all the appointments from the last two days in to the coming days. Elder Hendrickson did go out with the elders for a few things, and he went to day to give a blessing to someone. He is at a meeting tonight.
Maybe I got ill on purpose...ha...ha. NOT... however, I did enjoy watching the election results come in all last night. Michigan has been a hot bed of politicians and news people the last while. I can't help it. It's in my blood. I love elections. I am careful not to say a thing to anyone, as we cannot be political. We are representing the church and the church does not take political sides.
Thursday we finished painting Carol Miranda's bedroom. She is really happy with the green. (Mom, it is the same color green you used to have in the living room and dining room. You would love it.) Elder H and I went back on Saturday and took off the tape and moved some furniture back in. The elders went over and moved the real heavy pieces.
Elder H cleaning brushes at Carol's house

Elder Bridgewater & Elder Ferons finishing up the paint job
We had a nice dinner on Thursday night with Cory Swan, his dad, and his three sons. Cory is on our ward list. When we went over last week, he stepped outside and visited with us for a few minutes. He invited us over to dinner. His wife, Missie, is a teacher in special ed and had parent teacher conferences. She made a lovely chicken lasagna and delicious garlic bread, which I thought was above and beyond the call of duty since she could not even be there.They have two really cute sons. We had a nice visit. We were hoping they might be interested in coming to church but they are not. However, they were extremely kind to us.
After that, we ran down to a high school to listen to a music concert. We were too late to listen to the young lady we hoped to hear, but heard some others in our ward. When her mom invited us, we told her we would be late as we had an appointment. Her mom and dad are taking the lessons, just as a refresher. They joined the church years ago, but have not come. They have had to work most Sundays and still do. It was interesting. The first time we were there, she and her financee (both of them aged 17) got out of there fast. He has Christmas red hair and she has Irish green hair. That day, however, I started with the question, "Have you ever wondered where you lived before you were born, why you are here, or where you are going when you die?" She acted real cool, aloof, disinterested.  Her young man left quickly. She stayed there. He kept coming back to get her, but she just kept sitting there acting like she was busy on the computer. We could tell she was listening though. She was never baptized nor has she had lessons. We were glad she was interested. We will see if that goes some place.

This video is a clip from the concert. The piano player and male violist are the Fletcher boys.  They are in our ward and their dad is the principal at this high school. Their mom is French from Madagascar. She is amazing. I love her French accent. AND she does stained glass.


I spent most of one day, during a snow storm, sewing. I finished some more projects for babies.
We went into the home of a wonderful family out in Climax. They are expecting their first baby after trying for years. We are taking them dinner tomorrow night. I am fixing Keiry Wilson's beef broccoli recipe which is really yummy! It will be a staple at family gatherings when we get home. If I was nice, I would send you the recipe, but I am going to wait and make it for you. Maybe Sarah and family will get some in May when they come. (YEA!!!)
I forgot to put the binkie bib in the photo, but this is a sample of the sets I am making.

Baby Caps made by Twyla Landers (She wants me to deliver them with my gifts.)
Tianna Ashley had her little baby boy this week. We took the minkee Pajama Time blanket I made, along with a hat and the Pajama Time book to the hospital. He is so beautiful. His name is Aaron Mikai Ashley. I will try to get a photo of him for next week.
It's Pajama Time!!! (blanket, book, & hat)
Our ward conference was on Sunday. Our stake president, Pres. Witt, talked on the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I was really excited as his talk was mostly taken from my new favorite book, "The Infinite Atonement," by Tad Callister. I have been reading it, and actually bought new scriptures and am going through and studying it line by lined and the scriptures that go with it. I heartily recommend this amazing book. Sunday School and Relief Society were wonderful, too. I was pleased because Sandy and Joe Cooper were there for the first time. It is amazing how universal the church is. The Spirit was strong just like it is at home, as it is every week. We do some things differently, but that is okay. (I am careful not to say, "In Idaho we do it this way....")
That night we went over to the Brandon's house for dinner. We gave a message on how to recognize promptings from the Spirit. Sister Baldwin was there, too. Sister Brandon was born and raised in Taiwan. She is amazing. Her conversion story is wonderful. She made comments in RS a couple of weeks ago and told how she first learned about Jesus Christ. (Taiwan is Buddist mostly.) We were all in tears. She sacrificed a lot to embrace the gospel. She home schools her children so that Zach can practice the violin every day for at least six hours. They go to Chicago for lessons, master classes, and orchestra every Saturday. It takes the entire family to make it all work...especially when it is storming.
We enjoyed visiting with our children and granddaughters on Google Plus. They were on visiting when we arrived home after our evening with the Brandons.
The weather continues to change from day to day. One day there is freezing sleet. Another day it is fifty degrees. But I am don't care. We have been blessed with a mild winter.
Today: 50 Degrees
A few days ago: six to eight inches of snow


We continue to bake bread and cookies every week. We package them and put them in the freezer as soon as they cool off so we won't eat them.

Hendrickson's Bakery (Mark's dad isn't the only one who can bake!!! HA!)
We love you all. Thanks for your support as we are here serving the people of Battle Creek. We are serving them, but we are gaining the most. Service is crucial to all of our happiness in life. No matter what our situation, we can find someone to help out. The Savior lives. He loves us all. He wants us to be happy. I am counting my blessings and YOU ARE THEM. 

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I'm amazed at all the beautiful and wonderful things you're creating for the people there. I hope you're feeling better now; no fun to be sick. Love you!

    ReplyDelete