![]() |
| Elder West , Elder Ferons, Elder Hendrickson, Sister Hendrickson |
| Shellie & Larry & Lauren at Saturday's baptism |
Sue, Shellie, Lauren, Larry, Sam
| Abby greeting Elder Hendrickson |
| Elder Hendrickson with Abby |
![]() |
| Janet & Bishop Torrance |
| Mary Fales, Elder Ferons, Hilde Hammer, Elder West, Mickey Baldwin |
| Hilde Hammer, Mary Fales, Mickey Baldwin |
I could not seem to make the curser go between the photos to add the stories, so please forgive me for lopping it all down here together.
We have had a special week. We are all excited that Larry and Shellie Laubenguyer were baptized. Their story is amazing. Larry's dad divorced many years ago. Larry had two half sisters from that marriage. They had great relationships but his mom did not help him keep in touch. They had not seen each other for thirty three years. He had not seen his dad for fifteen years. Well, before Christmas, Shellie got on Facebook and found the two sisters. She called them up. She called Larry at work and told him to take the seventeenth through the twenty-second of December off. He said okay and hung up. When he came home that night, he asked why he was taking those days off. She told him that they were going to Utah to visit his sisters. Now that was a Christmas surprise!!! These two sisters had joined the church in Michigan and moved to Utah twenty five years ago. Well, they went to Utah and they loved the family and the atmosphere in the homes of his sisters. They came home and went to the Battle Creek Library, where they checked out a Book of Mormon and a book on the history of the church. Shellie told his sisters that. The sisters then called the church and gave them a missionary referral. Well, Elders West and Ferons went right over. Three weeks later, they were baptized. They are golden contacts. They immediately started coming to church. They feel right at home with all of us. They believe it all. Their daughter.Lauren, came with them. She felt the Spirit. I would not be surprised to see her get baptized soon...probably by her father!!! They told the sisters in Utah that they were getting baptized on a Sunday, and on Monday night, they called them back to tell them they had reservations and would arrive in Detroit on Friday night. They have had the most glorious reuniting possible this last month or so. After they were baptized, they both spoke briefly. Shellie told the story of how it all happened. Larry told about reuniting with his sisters and how he loved what he felt in their homes. He wanted his home to feel like theirs. He said that he has lived a selfish life, and now he wants to serve others. He said that he has had money and that has not made him happy. He wants to give. He had us all in tears. It was really touching.
They were confirmed on Sunday.
For treats after the baptism, I made three dozen cinnamon rolls, brownies, gumdrop cookies, and seven dozen tollhouse cookies. We had a big group attend and it was fun to visit together.
We enjoyed talking to Mark and Em on Google Plus Sunday night. Thanks! We know you are busy.
Above, there is a picture of the Bishop and Janet Torrance. I just love the bishop's hat, so I had to put that in. His parents live across the street from a lake. He grew up in the water. They are big boat people. We love his parents. They are not members of the church, but they let us visit them whenever we are in Kalamazoo.
Everywhere we go, the dogs and cats love Elder Hendrickson. Abby gets right up nose to nose with him. I could not get a photo when they were that close that was not blurry, but you get the idea. Just picture their noses actually touching.
All four of us missionaries went to lunch with Hilde Hammer, Mickey Baldwin, and Mary Fales today. We went to Lux, a place that serves great breakfasts all day long. Elder W. loves their chicken fried steak. He ordered it...dinner size. I have never seen so many mashed potatoes in my life. It was a real mountain, piled high with gravy!!! Mickey ordered ice cream for him. He knew that, but he did not hear her tell the waiter, "Make it large." Well, I have never seen such a big bowl of ice cream in a restaurant in my life. You should have seen his face when he saw it. He was already stuffed. He tried but could not eat it all. When Elder F was finished with his wrap, Mickey asked him if he wanted ice cream. He made it clear that he wanted a really small one. We all laughed at him, too. It was a fun lunch. These ladies are wonderful to us all.
Elder West was made a district leader and transferred to the upper penninsula. He left today. We will miss him, as will the members of the ward, but he will do a great job and it is a great opportunity for him to grow.
Elder Ferons' new companion will be Elder Bridgewater. He has been out eight months tomorrow. He comes tomorrow. An elder serving in Marshall is wait Elder Ferons tonight as they both wait for their new companions.
Elder Bridgewater has arrived! He is from Provo, Utah. He is enthused, and will be a great addition to the team! Thanks to Elder Hendrickson for running over to the elder's apartment to take this picture for me!
I am busy making baby receiving blankets, binkie bibs, a baby quilt, and knitting baby hats. We have five babies due soon in the ward. (Getting warmed up for my new grandbaby!!!)
We have a funny story that Elder Ferons told us. He said that they were out tracting. They came to a house where the man told them that they were the answer to his prayers. He said this to them at least ten times. He went on and on. They made an appointment to go back. Well, they went back, and the man was not there. They went back several more times. Still, there was no one at home. Well, one day, a little boy came to the door and said hi to them. His dad was not home. He went on to tell him that his dad told them all to close the curtains and/or hide every time the elders came to the door. It was really funny. They were, I guess, all crouched down inside their house hoping the elders would not see them and go away. Great
answer to prayers!"I am thankful for the answers that I have received to my prayers. I know that Heavenly Father hears them. I know he answers them in His own time and manner. He knows what is best. I love the poem that I have had posted in our home for years. It goes:
The Weaver
My Life is but a weaving
between my Lord and me;
I cannot choose the colors
He worketh steadily.
Oft times He weaveth sorrow
And I, in foolish pride,
Forget He sees the upper,
And I the under side.
Not til the loom is silent
And the shuttles cease to fly,
Shall God unroll the canvas
And explain the reason why.
The dark threads are as needful
In the Weaver's skillful hand,
As the threads of gold and silver
In the pattern He has planned
between my Lord and me;
I cannot choose the colors
He worketh steadily.
Oft times He weaveth sorrow
And I, in foolish pride,
Forget He sees the upper,
And I the under side.
Not til the loom is silent
And the shuttles cease to fly,
Shall God unroll the canvas
And explain the reason why.
The dark threads are as needful
In the Weaver's skillful hand,
As the threads of gold and silver
In the pattern He has planned
Author unknown
I know that through the Savior's Atonement we can live with Him again. I love the gospel. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has the priesthood authority to provide us with the covenants and ordinances that we need to be saved in His kingdom. The Book of Mormon is true. There is great power in that book to change lives for the better. It is apparent when we walk into a lesson if the people have been reading it and praying.
I love you all. We appreciate your help and support.
And now, I have some luscious looking chocolate ice cream I am going to go sample...like my ever-expanding waistline needs that.
Have a good week!



Wow!!!!! So excited for you all. What a great week. I bet the time is flying. And new grandbaby???????? Did I miss something?
ReplyDeleteGod's Blessing coming your way!!!
We loved visiting with you even though we got more than a tad excited about the current political climate. Thanks for putting up with us! What new grandbaby??? Love you and love reading your blog!
ReplyDelete