Tuesday, November 22, 2011

We're Here!

It's been an exciting last week and a half. It really seems like longer to me. We loved the MTC. We met so many wonderful couples who are going all over the world to serve, everywhere from Las Vegas to Armenia to Sierra Leone.  Our district consisted of all Idaho couples, which the teachers said was unusual. Many couples have already served a couple of  missions.
Our young teachers were great. We especially loved Sister Reese. She is in the photo of our district. She served in South Carolina, and I am sure, was a WONDERFUL missionary.
Our travels across the country were interesting to me. I have learned that life is, indeed, a Broadway musical. We saw the Iowa State Fair grounds, drove by Chicago and "all that jazz," & "Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana, my home sweet home." (Music Man) Having  previously stood on "Grant Avenue, San Francisco, California, USA" (Flower Drum Song), we know now that we need to break into song at every opportunity.
We were able to stop in West Des Moines, Iowa to visit with my college room mate and friend, Paula Nelson. We met Jim and enjoyed that. She majored in art and her home was amazing. She treated us to lunch at the Olive Garden, and we made plans for our return trip.
We arrived here about 2:30 Battle Creek time. (eastern time zone) Went by to see our apartment. We move in tomorrow. The furniture is being delivered then, and we will get the key from Elder Jensen. Ron will be glad. His back has been holding up quite well, but this morning he had problems loading my suitcase, which weights a ton. He was really hoping last night was the end of that.
After checking into the Best Western we got a call from the Elders. We were invited to dinner at the bishop's house tonight.. Had my first Chicago style deep dish pizza. Yummy!!!
The elders need us to help them teach tomorrow. (We are not sure about that one, as moving in is our #1 priority. We wonder every night about all our our belongings left in the car outside. Will they still be there in the morning? We need to do some laundry. We need to get some food before the crazy weekend shopping begins.) There is an eighty year old lady in the ward, named Mickey, who has invited us for dinner tomorrow night. Also, they found us a place for Thanksgiving dinner. We have to decline that invitation as we are going to Lansing for dinner at the mission home with Pres. & Sister Hess, Elder & Sister Jensen, and maybe some more couples.
We found out tonight at the bishop's house that there is a couple in the ward whose eight year old boy drowned a few months ago. They are really suffering. Bishop said that may be why we are here...to help them. 
The bishop's father is staying with them. His wife fell and is in a recuperation facility for some weeks. They are not members of the church. We were able to have a nice visit with him. He wants us to come to his home for dinner when his wife gets well. We laughed at how green we are as missionaries. One of the elders told me that we were supposed to teach the Plan of Salvation tonight. (This was after dinner, and as they were going out the door. (They had an appointment.) We were getting ready to leave.  I wondered if he was joking, and mentioned it to the bishop's wife. She said yes we were. Well, we taught that once at the MTC. I started in on the first part, turning it over to Ron, who did not pick up and run with it at all, but went in a different way. He had not heard the discussion in the kitchen, and thought we were giving a short thought and leaving. I had given the first part, which is somewhat similar, in the way I had given the first part of the lesson on the restoration at the MTC. He said that if he had carried on, it would have been with the other lesson. We had no idea that we would be doing any teaching. (Infact, Ron had not told me that we were going for dinner. I thought we were just meeting the bishop.)  We had no notes, etc. I had my scriptures. It was funny. But I think it was for the best. With his father wanting us to come to their home, and his mom not there, I think it might be best to start them both together. And I feel like that really will happen. They belong to the Methodist Church, as did my Grandmother. He and I had a nice time visiting. (He talks faster and longer than I do, if that is possible.) He talked about a minister he like to hear "preach." I asked him if he had ever heard his son preach. He said no, he had never been invited. I told him we could fix that. The bishop will ask him next time. This man is extremely family oriented. I like him a lot. I'm going to pray for him and his wife to be willing to hear the lessons. It makes me sad to think of him not having his family when he loves them so much. (I am sure the bishop's family will do their temple work, but it would be cool for them to do it themselves, and for the bishop and his family to know that they had accepted it without waiting.)

(MTC District)

It has rained non-stop all day. Tonight our appointment was in Climax,  a village about ten miles from here. Well, water was literally sheeting off of the windows of the pilot. We could not see well. It was very dark. The streets were pooled with rain. We made a couple of wrong turns, and our GPS, which we refer to as Maggie,  had us turning all around. We ignored her and turned around in our own way & got back on track. We made it there about five minutes late, which in itself is somewhat of a miracle. On the way home we had a hard time seeing through the rain to get back on the freeway in the traffic. Infact,  Ron turned on the freeway. and we saw the signs that read, "wrong way, do enter!!!" We backed out quickly. Ron turned into a gas station, and I began to drive as he was having trouble in the bright lights. I drove back over, and we discovered that it was the right entrance, the signs were just visible from the lane next to it. We are going to need to spend some daylight hours learning our way around. We can do this. I loved sharing the gospel with Mr. Torrente tonight. I loved the spirit that we felt. What a great adventure we are on. The gospel is true. Heavenly Father's plan is real. I am grateful to have that knowledge.


Wyoming
Nebraska (Birthplace of Don Stephens)

West Desmoines. Iowa

The mighty Mississippi River from Illinois


Indiana

This is the apartment complex inwhich we will reside.

To end, I would like to share some important things we have observed or learned on our journey. You will want to make notes.

1.  "Each year thousands of men will die from stubbornness." (sign along the freeway)
2.  Parents can be sold if you are unhappy with them. We saw a sign that read: "Parents for sell. Buy one, get one free."
3.  On the freeway in construction zones in Illinois: If you hit a worker you will be fined $10,000 and be put in prison for fourteen years. (signs in construction zones)
4.  On the freeway in Michigan: Injure a worker you will be fined $7500 and will serve fifteen years in prison. (signs in construction zones)
5.  In Idaho we have freeway mile markers every mile.  In Michigan they want you to know where you are at all times. 49, 49.2, 49.4, 49.6, 49.8, 50. You get the picture.

3 comments:

  1. 'Glad to hear that you made it safely and are already having such wonderful experiences. That's funny about being called on to teach on the spur of the moment but I'll bet it went better than you think. So happy for you, and proud of you. What a great example you're setting for everyone in the family. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Tony,
    I just love reading about your mission and the experiences you have been having. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing about this mission adventure. It is getting me so excited for the day when Jim and I can go!! Love you much!!

    ReplyDelete