Wednesday, June 13, 2012

June 13, 2012

I'm a day late again this week. Sorry! It has been a busy one. It's late and I may not proof this, so please forgive any errors.
On Wednesday we had a half mission training session in Grand Rapids. We love being with the elders and sisters. Since the last transfers we have about a dozen or so sisters, versus the four we had before. They really work hard, like the elders and I love seeing them as I can better picture Sarah and Kristin serving.
We drove these elders to lunch at Wendy's and we snuck into a New York style deli at the same time. It was REALLY yummy! (Elder Harndon, Elder Holt and Elder Leiniger)

Elder Rodebush (soon going home), Sister Thatcher, & Sister Keyes

Elder H, Me, & Sister Thatcher

Sister Thatcher & Elder Ferons
We were happy to visit with Elder Bridgewater. He's awesome. We were particularly happy to see Elder Ferons. We served with him in Battle Creek for a long time and have missed him a lot. He was transferred to Holland for awhile and is now in Kalamazoo. Sister Thatcher and Sister Keyes served in Kalamazoo and we got to be close when we were in that district.
We have spent a lot of time searching this week, finding those whose names are on the list but no one knows. We are slowly whittling the list down.  We started out with around 650 names. We have about 110 to go.
Brother and Sister Letters, the past patriarch here, invited us over for a brunch on Thursday. It was yummy and we appreciated their help in identifying some of the members. They are wonderful people. He is kind of the "Brother Buttars" of the ward. He doesn't know as many people and remember birthdays, etc., like LaVar, but he goes around visiting and and taking care of everyone, like Bro. Buttars.
On Friday we spent a lot of time finding and in the evening drove the elders to a baptism in Lansing. Elder Snow taught these three people before he came to BC a few weeks ago. They could go, but could not use their miles to get there. We loved it. President and Sister Hess were there and that meant we got to be with them Monday, Wednesday, and Friday last week. What  a treat. The bishop of that Lansing ward and his wife were there. They had a nine pound baby boy there that Sister Hess was holding. (She is in their ward.) He was born at one pound and and is a real miracle baby. He is now as healthy as can be. I loved seeing her hold him. The Hesses have, I believe, ten children. They may be all married. They have a lot of grandchildren. As I watched her, I could see how much she loves babies. They have several grandchildren coming soon. It really illuminated her sacrifice to me. They are here for three years. They are approaching their one year mark. They are great people, but I am sure they really miss their family. Some of them are coming to visit next week. We are happy for them.
On Saturday, we got up and went downtown for the Battle Creek "Cerealfest" and "World's longest breakfast table" celebration. Post, Kellogg, and Ralston donate huge amounts of cereal every year. There are pop tarts, too. The place was packed. It is a real family time. We visited with a couple who are not members but who work with a member of the ward. We also visited with a vendor who used to serve in the peacecorp in Chili. He said he loved to hang out with the missionaries where they could all speak English together.




Peacecorp guy (These baskets are amazing!)



Diane & Brian Kirkham (members of our ward) Brian used to be mayor of BC.

We stopped by the Springville Farmer's Market for a few minutes before it closed on Saturday. Our friend, Karen Lewis, works here. Elder H is eating Beefalo meat stick. Yummy!



We went out finding. We have been to one house over and over. At least a few times we were pretty sure someone was home. Well, as we started up the street and began to park, a man bolted out of a chair in the front yard. He went into the house and would not open the door. I guess we know that they do not want any contact at the present time. HA! We went a few other places close by and then I asked Elder H to drive back by. I just wanted to see him run again. (Aren't I awful???) He wasn't outside.
On Sunday, we went to pick-up a sister for church. We panged and panged on the door, but she did not get up. We had a homeless man, named Scott, come back to church. He stayed for the entire three hours. He is really a nice man. He was sober, too, and searching. He really likes Elder H. (Last time he came, I was at home with the flu.)
We were pleased in Sacrament meeting to see our dear friend, Mary Jo, sustained to two callings in the RS. It is such a joy to see her come back into activity. She is awesome. She asked us to stay and be with her as she was set apart. We did so and then ran out, as we were taking Twyla to Vicksburg to receive her partriarchal blessing. The patriarch lives in a beautiful house right on Indian Lake. The view from their living room was heavenly. Come to find out, they are friends with a lady from Malad, Idaho. Small world.

fast view of Indian Lake

We took Twyla home and ran to the home of a lady who was supposed to receive a blessing to have help in quitting smoking. We got there and they didn't answer the door. I am getting really concerned about her willingness to quit smoking and get baptized. She wants to be baptized, but is really only stopped by the word of wisdom. RULES ARE TOOLS!  And they keep us free from addictions and other problems. I am sad to see many people tied to cigarettes and smoking. From there we went out finding again, but did not have much success. We then had an amazing meeting with a sister who we asked to prepare to go to the temple. It was really led by the Spirit of the Lord and we could all feel it. Heavenly Father truly is preparing people and leading them where they need to be.
 We visited with our kids and Mark and Em and their family. It was fun.
Monday was our prep day and I spent a lot of time doing ironing, both our clothes and some baptismal clothing.  We went over to the new ward mission leader's home for dinner and to go over the ward list. We were there until 11:00 p.m. We were hoping that they would know a lot of the people we are searching for, but they did not know many of them. The treasure hunt continues.
On the way home, it was raining. It had been about 92 degrees. One could almost see steam rising off the sidewalk. The stories are true. I am grateful for air conditioning!!!
On Tuesday we taught a couple of lessons with the elders. In the afternoon I went to the park for several hours with a sister who lost her eight year old son last summer by drowning. My heart goes out to their family.


Today, we had district meeting in Marshall. We had a zone leader here and an AP.  Such fine young men. It was Elder Snow's very first time as district leader. He did a super job.

Elder Holt who will go home in a few weeks. He serves in Marshall.

Elder Snow (our new district leader)

Elder Jones, our zone leader
We all went to Wendy's for lunch and then we took off for Climax to visit Tommy Doan, with whom we had an appointment. We got there and he was leaving. We were disappointed not to be able to visit with him. He invited us out. I'll bet he forgot.
Coming back to BC we had a lovely visit with with a member's wife who, due to various health problems, does not come to church. She doesn't let people in much and we were glad we were able to have a great visit with her.
We went out looking until about 9:00. We found quite a bit of information tonight, which we are grateful for. The good news is that we finally found a man who we have searched and searched for. The bad news is that he joined another church three years ago. He is an awesome man. He takes care of his new church's grounds. He bought them a new furnace last winter when their's broke down. His grandparents were very active in the church. His parents were, too until they took their kids and moved to a town where there was not a ward or branch close by.  If he had been having home teachers, he would have come to our church when he was ready to turn to the Lord. Our loss is another church's gain. He is wonderful. Home and visiting teaching are essential. I am inclined to feel like Scarlett O'Hara, tonight, "I'll think about that tomorrow."
I am grateful to see the Lord work in the lives of the people. We are seeing hearts  turn to Him and the changes that come when one serves and obeys. I know that God lives. I know that his son, Jesus Christ gave his life for us and suffered that we might be forgiven. I am grateful for parents who have taught me right from wrong and love me.  This week I am grateful for Dads. I love my own dad who was always there for me.  I am thankful for Elder H being a great dad to our kids. I am grateful Mark is a great dad to our grandchildren. I am grateful for Elder H's father who raised him to love the Lord.I am grateful for our Eternal Father in Heaven.
Oh, I just about forgot. I am now an official matchmaker. I introduced a couple of singles to one another, and they are now getting married. Just let me know if any of  you need my services. HA!
Our love to you all.
PS Dad, your card and gift are in the mail. Hope it arrives on time. Love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment